24 arrests and 234 driving offences in the Ionian Islands in eight hours
IONIA ISLANDS. 64 vehicles were immobilised, including 26 quad bikes.
Between 18:00 on Thursday 31 August and 02:00 on Friday 1 September, police in the Ionian Islands checked 492 vehicles and 587 individuals, leading to 24 arrests - 6 in Corfu, 9 in Zakynthos, 7 in Cephalonia and 2 in Lefkada - for the following offences:
- 3 for possession of drugs (Zakynthos)
- 1 with arrest warrant outstanding (Cephalonia)
- 3 for illegal residency
- 2 for disturbing the peace
- 11 for driving without a licence
- 3 catering establishments for lack of proper health certificates
- 1 for beach occupation (Corfu)
There were 234 driving offences, including the following:
- 13 driving under the influence
- 32 speeding
- 2 not wearing seat belts
- 68 not wearing crash helmet
- 3 using mobile phone whilst driving
- 7 without driving licences
- 1 with uninsured vehicle
- 4 without MOT
plus 104 other violations.
64 vehicles were immobilised for driving without a licence, not wearing crash helmets and not having MOT.
85 quad bikes were checked in Lagana and Kalamaki in Zakynthos and 26 were immobilised for dangerous driving, driving under the influence and driving without a crash helmet.
There was also one case of smoking in a no smoking area.
Photo: Enimerosi archive