Catering establishments closed tomorrow
CORFU. Restaurants and cafes will be closed but there will be no protest gathering.
Corfu catering establishments will remain closed for 24 hours tomorrow as part of the Panhellenic Federation of Restaurant & Related Professions (POESE) protest throughout Greece demanding support measures for those working in the sector. Their resolution will be presented by a representation to the Prime Minister on the same day at 12:00.
According to the President of Corfu Catering Association Sakis Kostas, many problems have been created and a difficult winter lies ahead.
"The number of customers has decreased," he told Enimerosi. "There was a drop in business last weekend and there are fewer and fewer in town every night. Someone who is unvaccinated cannot pay for a rapid test two or three times a week in order to go to a cafe or restaurant. Our expenses have increased and we are requesting support measures."
Mr. Kostas added that he believes that restaurants and cafes in Corfu that are members of POESE will also close for 24 hours but there won't be a protest gathering.
- Readjustment of fines and shifting of burden to offender as well.
- Refundable deposit made NON-refundable.
- Participation in decision-making committees.
- Power and rent subsidies.
- Subsidy for employer contributions or suspension of work contracts.
- Exemption from municipal payments
- Reduction of VAT to 6%
- Continuation of subsidies for loan repayments.
- New funding similar to that for 2020 and early 2021.
1. Special Secretariat or Catering Chamber
2. Resolution of employee costs with special modifications of distortions in employment legislation which don't take into account the high level of extra costs in the sector (nights, holidays, weekends) and its unique circumstances.
3. Rationalisation of the sector with structural reforms.