5 arrests and 94 driving offences in the Ionian Islands in six hours
CORFU. There were police checks in the Ionian Islands from 07:00 to 13:00 on Wednesday 6 September.
Between 07:00 and 13:00 on Wednesday 6 September, police in the Ionian Islands checked 203 vehicles and 273 individuals, leading to 5 arrests - 1 in Corfu, 2 in Zakynthos, 1 in Cephalonia and 1 in Lefkada - for the following offences:
- 2 for illegal residency
- 1 for driving without a licence
- 1 for harming the environment
- 1 catering establishment for lack of proper health certificates
There were 94 driving offences, including the following:
- 7 speeding
- 4 not wearing seat belts
- 14 not wearing crash helmet
- 1 using mobile phone whilst driving
- 1 not stopping at red traffic lights
- 3 without driving licences
- 2 without MOT
plus 62 other violations.
18 vehicles were immobilised for driving without a licence, worn-out tyres, not wearing crash helmets and being without MOT.
Photo: Enimerosi archive