Police checks in Ionian Islands
CORFU. 16 arrests and 176 driving offences on Wednesday 17 August.
Between 07:00 and 13:00 on 17 August police in Corfu, Zakynthos, Cephalonia and Lefkada carried out checks for the following:
- Theft and burglary
- Dangerous driving
- Violations of regulations at catering establishments
- Drug dealing
- Illegal immigrants
475 vehicles and 625 individuals were checked, leading to 16 arrests - 9 in Zakynthos, 4 in Corfu, 2 in Cephalonia and 1 in Lefkada - for the following offences:
- 2 for drug offences
- 4 for illegal residence
- 4 for driving without a licence
- 4 for pollution
- 2 for miscellaneous offences
Police seized small quantities of heroin and unprocessed cannabis, as well as pills.
There were 179 driving offences, including the following:
- 1 driving under the influence
- 10 speeding
- 11 not wearing seat belts
- 36 not wearing crash helmet
- 1 using mobile phone whilst driving
- 2 worn-out tyres
- 9 without driving licences
- 3 with uninsured cars
- 1 without MOT
29 vehicles were immobilised for driving without a licence, being uninsured, worn-out tyres, not wearing crash helmets and being without MOT.
In checks carried out in business premises 2 violations of the no-smoking law were found.