Police checks - 21 arrests on Thursday
CORFU. 21 arrests and 239 driving offences in the Ionian Islands.
Between 17:00 and 13:00 on 4 August police in Corfu, Zakynthos, Cephalonia and Lefkada carried out checks for the following:
- Theft and burglary
- Dangerous driving
- Violations of regulations at catering establishments
- Drug dealing
- Illegal immigrants
519 vehicles and 655 individuals were checked, leading to 21 arrests - 9 in Zakynthos, 6 in Cephalonia, 5 in Corfu and 1 in Lefkada - for the following offences:
- 8 for driving without a licence
- 3 for immigration offences
- 3 for grievous bodily harm
- 2 for pollution
- 2 for illegal trading
- 1 for outstanding court decision
- 1 for drunkenness
- 1 for lack of health certificate
There were 239 driving offences including the following:
- 2 driving under the influence
- 13 speeding
- 4 not wearing seat belts
- 61 not wearing crash helmet
- 3 using mobile phone whilst driving
- 1 running a red light
- 1 driving dangerously
- 19 without driving licences
- 1 driving on wrong side of the road
- 2 with uninsured cars
- 5 without MOT
27 vehicles were immobilised for driving without a licence, being uninsured, driving under the influence, worn-out tyres and not wearing crash helmets.
In checks carried out in business premises three violations of the no-smoking law were found.
Police also seized various products being sold illegally.