Homeless support programme for Central and South Corfu Municipalities approved
CORFU. With the aim of reintegrating those eligible into society so that they have as much independent living as possible through their housing rehabilitation.
The Central and South Corfu Municipalities, in collaboration with the Equal Society organisation, are included in the homeless support programme, following the approval of the responsible Ministry. Deputy Minister for Social Welfare Domna Michailidou announced this approval to the Mayor Meropi Ydraiou in a teleconference.
The Central Corfu and Diapontia Islands Mayor said that this project will help those eligible to reintegrate into society so that they have as much independent living as possible through their housing rehabilitation and it will also empower them through education, training and promotion in jobs, and psychosocial support.
The management organisation of the ‘Housing and Work for the Homeless’ programme is the National Institute of Labour and Human Resources and the managing organisation of the ‘Equal Opportunities’ project, in particular, is Equal Society. The programme has a total budget of €356,962, it concerns the homeless people of the South and Central Corfu Municipalities and has the following objectives:
- Integration of 15 households (38 people in total) into adequate, safe and proper housing for a period of up to 24 months
- Coverage of the household goods and operating expenses for the abovementioned households
- Monitoring and supervision of the living conditions of the households
- Inclusion of at least 20% of the eligible adults who are capable of working in subsidised work for a period of up to 12 months
- Ensuring that they will stay employed by subsidising the insurance contributions of both employees and employers
- Inclusion of at least 10% of those eligible in subsidised vocational training programmes
- Psychosocial support and activation, as well as connection with additional welfare benefits and services
- Monitoring of the housing and employment situation of those eligible following the completion of the programme for a period of up to 12 months
The duration of the project will be 24 months and it is aiming at the immediate creation of a fully functional and multi-thematic framework that will address the ever-increasing needs for the effective survival of vulnerable groups of the South and Central Corfu Municipalities, and in particular those who are homeless, at risk of being left homeless and/or being evicted, or living in unsafe housing.
It should be noted that the proposal for the ‘Equal Opportunities’ project had been submitted last September by both South and Central Corfu Municipalities and had been identified as one of the best programmes due to the experience of the managing organisation.
Deputy Minister for Social Welfare Domna Michailidou announced the inclusion in the programme and the funding to the Mayor Meropi Ydraiou in a teleconference. The Mayor thanked the Deputy Minister and said that this programme provides a solution to an important social problem of our country.
The Deputy Minister said that “We are expanding the ‘Housing and Work’ programme from 14 to 43 Municipalities across the country. In this way, we are actively coping with homelessness. We are paying the rent and household goods for even more of our fellow citizens for two years, as well as their salary for one year. Together, state and local government, we are effectively strengthening the reintegration of our most vulnerable fellow citizens into society. Together, we are fighting poverty and homelessness and are helping improve the living conditions of those of our fellow citizens who need it most. We are leaving no one behind.”