Only the cafe will operate on Vidos Island, not the restaurant
CORFU. “The bad news is that in 2021 noone will be able to visit Vidos for food”, says Spyros Neratzis.
The Municipal Councillor responsible for Vidos and Lazareto islands Spyros Neratzis announced the temporary shuttle service timetable for Vidos and said that only the cafe will operate this year on the island, as the restaurant will remain closed until a legal way to provide its service is found.
He said that the tender procedure for the lease of the municipal boat Agios Stefanos for the shuttle service to Vidos, was twice unsuccessful and the Municipal Authority, in order to provide a service for the public, sought to find a solution by offering a lease to anyone interested in taking over this service.
Only the cafe will operate
Mr. Neratzis went on to say that the good news is that the free market reacted immediately and there is now a daily shuttle service to Vidos Island.
“The bad news is that in 2021 noone will be able to visit Vidos for food," he said in his statement. The Ikos company, which has leased the restaurant, has informed us that:
1. The cafe will operate during the hours that a regular shuttle service to Vidos is
available and in the areas stipulated in its contract.
2. The restaurant will not operate until it can legally provide the service befitting Vidos Island, its visitors and the company’s name and reputation. (Below you will
find the letter we received from the company informing us of the way the cafe will
Temporary timetable transfers to and from Vidos by private vessels:
Monday – Friday
From Corfu: 9:00 / 10:00 / 11:00 / 12:00 / 14:00 / 16:00 / 18:00
From Vidos: 11:45 / 13:15 / 15:15 / 17:15 / 19:15 / 21:00
Saturday, Sunday & Holidays
From Corfu: 10:00 / 11:00 / 11:00 / 12:00 / 14:00 / 16:00 / 18:00
From Vidos: 11:45 / 13:15 / 13:15 / 15:15 / 17:15 / 19:15
The routes run from Korakofolia
Letter from the IKOS:
Following the decision of the Municipal Council of the Central Corfu and Diapontia Islands Municipality published on 25/06/2021, which indicates your intention to proceed with the use of the area with natural shade, which is in front of the cafe in Vidos, we would like to inform you once again of our intention for the use of this area, so that all visitors to the island can receive service under the best possible conditions. Our aim is for the service that existed in Vidos in 2020, with the good cooperation between all of us, to serve as an example and not only to continue, but also to improve for the benefit of its visitors.
Until the most appropriate and legal solution is found, without considering the financial damage that our business will suffer, we inform you that:
1. We will proceed with the opening of the cafe offering visitors all the provisions (e.g. snacks, refreshments, coffee, etc.) with operating hours are allowed by the regular shuttle service (from 11:00 to 19:00) until the municipal boat Agios Stefanos starts operating. Obviously, the operating hours will vary depending on the regular shuttle service to and from Vidos. The customer service area will be in the premises provided for in our contract.
2. As far as the restaurant is concerned, with absolute respect to the customers and the high-quality service we want to offer, in conjunction with the commonly accepted view that the space without natural shade, is:
- inhospitable and inappropriate, at least during the day
- too small for the visitors of Vidos
we have decided not to operate it until we can legally provide the services befitting Vidos Island, its visitors and our company’s name and reputation.
Please ensure that the Municipal Authority and the public are informed. We remain at your disposal and await to be called to a meeting to discuss whatever further action is required.
General Manager Ikos Dassia