Corfu waste management facility to be put out to tender in mid-July
CORFU. Problems with the removal of waste bales from Lefkimmi - New contract between Ionian Islands Region and FODSA.
The construction of the Corfu waste management facility is expected to be put out to tender in mid-July, if there are no new problems.
However, a year has already passed since the second time the project was put out to tender, but because the procedure failed, the Ionian Islands FODSA decided to put it out to tender again due to the dead end that had been created.
The Managing Director of the Ionian Islands Solid Waste Management Organisation (FODSA) Theodoros Kardaris told Enimerosi that next Monday the Operational Programme 'Transport Infrastructure, Environment and Sustainable Development' (YMEPERAA) is expected to check the declaration for the Corfu waste management facility for a week, so that the project can be put out to tender - for the third time - hopefully in mid-July.
€11 million more
The construction of the waste management facility, after it was redesigned, will cost €11,693,548 more (it will be funded by YMEPEPAA and the Ministry for the Environment), with the final amount being €35,645,161 from €23,951,612 it used to be.
At the Regional Council
A detailed update on FODSA's actions in each Regional Unit regarding the issue of solid waste management was given during the Regional Council meeting held last weekend in Zakynthos.
Regarding the Corfu Regional Unit, Mr. Kardaris said that the process of adjusting the environmental impact study for the creation of a new landfill in Temploni was completed and will soon be put to public discussion. The aim is to issue a decision on the approval of environmental conditions, in order for FODSA to submit a funding proposal to YMEPERAA for the creation of the landfill.
When it comes to the removal of waste bales from Temploni, it was said that although their transportation and landfill has been approved, the required funding is still not available.
As for Lefkimmi, the Regional Governor Rodi Kratsa explained that although the funding and approval for the transportation to Palairos have been secured, the procedure has stopped due to problems with the contract between Ionian Islands Region and FODSA. However, a new contract has already been submitted for approval based on the comments given, so that the project of removing the waste bales from the region can finally begin.