Corfu and Paxos in the Local Urban Plans programme
ATHENS. Land use, building conditions, protection areas, areas for development of productive activities, stream delimitation, areas of special urban incentives, transport and construction networks.
The second cycle of the emblematic ‘Konstantinos Doxiadis’ Urban Reforms Programme of the Ministry for the Environment and Energy begins and it is funded by the Recovery and Resilience Fund with a total budget of €401.05 million.
By decision of the responsible Deputy Minister for Spatial Planning and Urban Environment Nikos Tagaras, the whole process begins for the preparation and approval of 128 studies of Local Urban Plans and 8 studies of Special Urban Plans.
Among the country’s Municipalities that are included in the urban planning programme are the three Corfu Municipalities and the Paxos Municipality.
- SOUTH CORFU MUNICIPALITY (LEFKIMMI, MELITEION AND CORISSION DISTRICTS)
- CENTRAL CORFU AND DIAPONTIA ISLANDS MUNICIPALITY (ERIKOUSSA, OTHONI, MATHRAKI, PHAEACES, PARELIA, PALEOKASTRITSA, CORFU AND ACHILLION DISTRICTS)
- NORTH CORFU MUNICIPALITY (AGIOS GEORGIOS, THINALIO, ESPERION AND KASSIOPI DISTRICTS)
- PAXOS MUNICIPALITY (PAXOS DISTRICT)
Organisation in terms of sustainability
The Urban Plans aim at the urban and spatial planning of the Municipalities, the mapping of local conditions and needs, the determination of land use and the effective solving of chronic problems in urban and suburban areas. At the same time, they provide for the protection of the natural and cultural environment and the rational organisation of space in terms of sustainability.
The Ministry for the Environment and Energy is responsible for the abovementioned programmes and studies.
The complete and modern studies of Local Urban Plans and Special Urban Plans establish land use, building conditions, protection areas, areas for the development of productive activities, stream delimitation, areas of special urban incentives, transport and construction networks. At the same time, measures are envisaged to address the climate crisis, support emergencies and manage the consequences of natural and technological disasters.
It is emphasised that for the preparation of the studies of Local Urban Plans:
- Four cycles of assignments are foreseen with 229 distinct studies covering (spatially and geographically) a total of 768 districts throughout the country.
- The selection of the districts that participate in each cycle of assignments has emerged based on the requests submitted by the districts to the Ministry for the Environment and Energy and the Evaluation Committee’s conclusion that has been set up for this purpose.
- The Special Urban Plans study preparation programmes are proposed by the Ministry for the Environment and Energy’s Directorates of Urban Planning and Planning of Metropolitan, Urban and Suburban Areas in order to solve chronic problems, as well as the radical and effective response to special or emergency situations and, in particular, the response to critical spatial problems, the promotion of projects and programmes of supra-local or strategic importance, urban regeneration or environmental protection programmes, the response to serious consequences of natural disasters and the interventions in the framework of programmes co-funded by the European Union.