Sinies: First Green Spot - Recycling & Sorting at Source Education Centre in North Corfu
CORFU. A collaboration agreement was signed by North Corfu Municipality and the social cooperative ΄Syn Praxi΄ for the first modern Small Green Spot in Sinies.
The foundations have been laid for the first modern Green Spot - Recycling & Sorting at Source Education Centre in Sinies, North Corfu with the signing of a collaboration agreement on Thursday 15 October by North Corfu Mayor Giorgos Mahimaris and social cooperative ΄Syn Praxi΄ President Nikos Sarakinos. Deputy Mayor for Circular Economy & Environment Spyridoula Kokkali and Sinies community president Kostas Reveniotis were also present at the meeting.
- According to the new National Waste Management Plan (ESDA), the network of Green Spot - Recycling & Sorting at Source Education Centres is a key element in waste management as it plays a significant role in Sorting at Source and the implementation of the National Plan for the Prevention of Waste Creation.
- The Ionian Islands Regional Waste Management Plan also attaches great importance and recommends the establishment of Green Spot - Recycling & Sorting at Source Education Centres.
- Green Spots play an important part in recycling on a European and global level, significantly improving the environmental impact of solid waste management by diverting a large amount of household waste.
- According to legislation, a Recycling & Sorting at Source Education Centre is defined as a site organised by social and economic solidarity bodies and whatever applies to Green Spots also applies to them.
Objectives of Sinies Green Spot - Recycling & Sorting at Source Education Centre:
- Recycling of specific streams based on public participation.
- Ability for members of the public to deposit separately recyclable materials such as paper, glass, metal, plastic, cloth, edible oils, used objects and equipment (e.g. clothing, furniture, electrical appliances etc.) for recycling or reuse, at an organised site (with a garden and local plants) which is properly demarcated and designed and has suitable infrastructure and equipment.
- Recycling & Sorting at Source Education Centres has all the facilities of a small Green Spot along with education in Sorting at Source, which is integrated in local initiatives.
Both parties to the agreement underlined that "Recycling is not only our responsibility to the environment, which offers us so much every day, but is the only realistic solution to the current waste situation - increasing the percentage of recycled materials and reducing the volume of waste that goes to the landfill."