Week of events for World Breast Cancer Day
CORFU. The events are being co-organised by the Public Health Department, Central Corfu KEP Health section, Corfu Town and Agios Markos Health Centres, 1st TOMY and the regional branch of the Social Workers΄ Association.
On the occasion of World Breast Cancer Day on October 25 and as part of the protection and promotion of public health, a week of events to increase public awareness will take place from October 23 to October 27.
October was established in 1985 as Breast Cancer Awareness Month in an international campaign to raise awareness among the female population and gather resources for research, prevention, early diagnosis and treatment of the most commonly occurring malignancy in women, breast cancer.
These actions are being organised by the Public Health Department, Central Corfu KEP Health section, Corfu Town and Agios Markos Health Centres, 1st TOMY and the Ionian Islands regional branch of the Greek Social Workers' Association.
The Ionian Islands Police Department will also be taking part as well as the Community Centre Roma Branch and the Central Corfu Women's Shelter.
Programme 23-27 October
- Symbolic lighting up of the facades of municipal buildings and spaces in pink. Old Town Hall (San Giacomo), Marasleio Town Hall, Municipal Theatre and Pentofanaro.
- Street activities from 10:00 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. and from 6:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. with the distribution of printed materials and pink ribbons at the following locations: Pentofanaro, Annuziata Square and the pedestrian area on Georgiou Theotoki.
Tuesday, October 24, 09:00 - 13:00
Breast examination at the Gynaecological Clinic of the Corfu Health Centre by the Gynaecologist,Tania Elmatzoglou.
Appointments: 26610 96937
Wednesday, October 25, starting at 19:30
Seminar with the topic: "Prevention and Management of Breast Cancer - Personal Experiences" at Corfu Medical-Surgical Society.
The following will be participating:
- Evangelos Duitsis – Director and Surgeon at Corfu Hospital Breast Clinic
- Alexandra Kaloudi, General Practitioner at Corfu 1st Health Centre
- Xanthi Mourmeti, Certified Midwife at Corfu Health Centre
Doctors and healthcare professionals (midwives, public health inspectors, health visitors, social workers, nurses, psychologists) from the Municipality and collaborating organisations will be taking part.
Knowledge is power. Prevention saves lives.