Tuesday 18.06.2024 ΚΕΡΚΥΡΑ

62-year-old woman found dead in sea at Faliraki had been missing since Thursday night

15 Sep 2023 / 17:49

CORFU. Her body was identified by her son.

The body of the 62-year-old woman, who was found dead on Friday morning in the sea at Faliraki, has been identified.

The woman of Albanian origin, who lived in Corfu with her family, was sought since Thursday night.

She was eventually found dead around 09:30 in the morning by a fellow citizen, who saw her body washed up on the rocks on the beach below Mourayia.

The Police, EKAB and the Coast Guard were immediately alerted and rushed to the scene.

Two paramedics and two members of the Coastguard pulled the woman out of the sea. Despite the efforts of the paramedics to revive her, it was already too late.

The 62-year-old woman was found fully clothed. She was wearing a pair of leggings and a shirt, while her slippers were found near where her body was washed up.

There were bathers in the area at that time, mainly Corfiots, who are going there to swim daily. However, the woman had not been seen on the beach before.


She was identified by her son

The 62-year-old woman was identified by her son at the scene of the incident. The news that a woman was found dead at Faliraki mobilised him, as he had lost track of her since the previous night.

Her body was taken to Corfu Hospital and the exact cause of death will be determined by a post-mortem examination, which will take place on Monday.

As the Medical Examiner Ioannis Aivatidis told Enimerosi, so far the woman does not seem to have any serious injuries to suggest homicide and it is suspected that she drowned. However, everything will be clarified with the post-mortem examination to be carried out in the next few days.


Preliminary investigation

As part of the investigation, the possibility of using the audiovisual material from the security cameras of the shops operating in Faliraki was examined. However, this was not possible as the cameras do not show the area of the incident. A preliminary investigation is being carried out by the Corfu Central Port Authority.